Academic Connections Research Scholars
2015 Research Scholars
Academic Connections is excited to offer the unique, ever expanding research component of our program to students. The UCSD Research Scholars program allows up to 25 total students to each work individually with a UCSD Faculty researcher in an actual Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or Nanotechnology lab on campus instead of taking an Academic Connections course. Although the curriculum for UCSD Research Scholar students will be greatly different from a standard Academic Connections course, Research Scholars students will eat, sleep, play, and participate outside of the laboratory in all of the same ways that that an Academic Connections student would. Please click on the 'UCSD Research Scholars' course listing on the right for more information.
Past faculty who have served as mentors for the program are to your right. Click on each one to get a feel for the type of research we do on campus. You may or may not be assigned to one of these labs, as the faculty members change from time to time.
Experience the Thrill of Discovery Research at UC San Diego
A completed Research Scholars Application consists of:
- Online Academic Connections Research Scholars Application
- Transcript from student's high school
- Recommendation Form completed by the student's science teacher
- Completed Research Scholars Essay questions - these are included with the application form.
Research Scholars, offers an opportunity for high achieving high school students to work side-by-side on projects with one of about 20 world renown faculty researchers in the academic disciplines such as biochemistry, chemistry, and nanotechnology. Research Scholars work full-time on discovery-based research projects in the lab of one of the mentors. Students applying for this program must be entering the 10th - 12th grade and have a 3.8 (or above) weighted cumulative GPA. Applicants will be required to answer essay questions demonstrating the level of their interest in participating, and what their research interests are. Participants will be matched with an appropriate mentor based on research interests. Preferential consideration will be granted to students who have overcome adversity in their desire to become scientists.
Most students opt to live on campus in the residence hall, which enables them to experience living on a college campus. Each Wednesday evening you will meet with Dr. Komives or her designee, to discuss how the research is going, as well as sharing experiences. Whether you live on campus or commute, both options afford the student opportunities to participate in evening and weekend activities. These activities include sports, arts and crafts, music, dances, talent shows and more. Participants are enabled to take advantage of the resources the beautiful UCSD campus has to offer. The resident halls are staffed with an experienced and trained Resident Dean, Assistant Resident Dean, office staff and residential assistants who provide supervision 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
Some advantages of acceptance into UCSD Academic Connections Research Scholars
Established in 1994, the Social Change Model approaches
leadership as a purposeful, collaborative, values-based process that
results in positive social change. The Model was built upon the
- “Leadership” is concerned with effecting change on behalf of others and society
- College-level research projects with world renown researchers, residential and extracurricular activities
- Opportunity to explore a specific academic field
- Exposure and access to state-of-the-art courses, technology and facilities
- Earn college prep units and recognition for program participation on college admission applications
- Study with other like-minded academic students from all over the country and the world
- SAT preparation (for an additional fee) and UCSD admission advising
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
February 21, 2015 - Last Day to Apply
April 15, 2015 - Selected Research Scholars Announced
Learn About the Application Process
Previous Years Research Faculty